The I Belong Centre is a community asset that is open to everyone, with or without disabilities. Opened in June 2017, the Centre is a multi-purpose facility in a residential area, close to the downtown core. The ground floor houses a spacious community centre for educational and social activities, with activity rooms and studios, a large drop-in foyer, and a state-of-the-art kitchen. The administrative offices are located upstairs.
The building also contains the Vanier Suites, a small cohousing community of individuals who are developmentally disabled, but who can live semi-independently. The residents live on two floors, with four 1-bedroom units (each 528 s.f.); one 2-bedroom unit (730 s.f.) and a studio unit (425 s.f.). There is also a common area for social and recreational activities.
The I Belong Centre is a place of welcome where we demonstrate that we all have different gifts to share. It’s a place where people have the opportunity to discover their individual and often hidden talents through creative and social activities. Each of us is unique and we all have significant contributions to make to society regardless of our challenges. By working together in creating beautiful art work, some of these gifts are revealed.
At the I Belong Centre, artwork is created and sold to help support the development of L’Arche Comox Valley. Our goal is to become financially self-sufficient.
IBC Activities – how to participate
- People with all levels of ability over the age of 19 are welcome. Your caregiver may be required to stay.
- Activities last for 1 to 1.5 hours
- Activity programs vary in cost — please refer to the Activity Guide or call the IBC for more information
- The L’ArcheWorx Collective offers participants in specially-designated programs an opportunity to earn money from the sale of their work
- To participate in most activities, you need to fill out an activity registration form, which you’ll find included in the Activity Guide. Copies are also available at the I Belong Centre.
- Print copies of the Activity Guide are available at the I Belong Centre, 1465 Grieve Avenue, Courtenay BC.
- For more information on participating in activities, or to volunteer, please call (250) 871-6288 or email email@example.com
Here’s a small sampling of the IBC programs ready to welcome you:
Seniors’ Circle: Monday 11:00 am – 1.30 pm. Come and enjoy the company of friendly people — and some good food!
Creative Candle making: Tuesday 1:00 – 3:00 pm. Learn the process of making candles, from mold preparation, choosing color chips, and finally labeling the finished product.
Exploring Art Together (EAT): Wednesday 1:00 – 3:00 pm. Join Carolyn and Debby to create your own original works using paint and mixed media. Sometimes we have themes, sometimes we don’t… but we always have great conversation.
Friday morning drop in coffee: All Fridays, 10:00 -11.30 am. All are welcome. Coffee and tea provided.
To participate in I Belong Centre programs, or to become a volunteer, please contact us at:
Phone: 250-871-6288 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address: 100-1465 Grieve Avenue, Courtenay V9N 2W1
Website: larchecomoxvalley.org Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LArche-Comox-Valley-491779427541959/