Role Description: Program/Support Assistant
The Program/Support Assistant facilitates and participates in providing person-centered supports to enable Core people (adults with developmental disabilities) to live meaningful lives in their residential setting and actively participate in the I Belong Centre Programs and/or in the wider community through arts, physical activity, employment, volunteering and other activities.
Full support of the goals of L’Arche and of the activities facilitating the achievement of these goals is expected and a commitment to be in relationship with Community members, participants, and personnel.
- Provide person-centered support to Core persons and facilitate their activities as valued, contributing members of the community.
- Support the development of life skills and competencies that will assist Core persons to pursue and fulfill their goals in work, community and residential settings.
- Support Core persons with personal care and hygiene, emotional support, relationship support, mobility support and the taking of medication on schedule.
- Provide for physical and emotional safety of each person by helping to set appropriate limits and ensuring conformity with all health and safety policies and standards.
- Assist with basic housekeeping tasks, cooking and laundry as needed
- Other duties as required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good communication skills. Strong interpersonal, relationship building, team-oriented and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience and skill working with adults with developmental disabilities.
- Ability to learn skills related to the delivery of the day program and behavior management issues.
- A firm belief and commitment to inclusion, the right for all people to belong, participate and contribute to the community.
- Ability to work independently in unstructured environments and to employ effective time management skills. Able to determine priorities, be self-directed, multi-task, and concentrate in a busy setting and work within timelines
- High school diploma; 2 year Human Service Worker or related education or job experience preferred
- Clear Criminal Record Check, Class 5 Drivers License, Valid First Aid-Community Care Level
WAGE: starting at $16.10/hour
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org